Sometimes my brain just goes places I wasn't expecting, and last night I started thinking about candy and I couldn't stop. I like candy. I started listing the kinds of candies I liked in my head (listing in my head, candy in my mouth!).
I like Skittles, Starburst, cinnamon bears, M&Ms (especially almond and peanut butter), Reeses (cups and pieces), Lemonheads, hot tamales, red hots, root beer barrels, saltwater taffy, Abba Zabbas, Mary Janes (taffy with peanut butter inside), butterscotches, starlight mints, those strawberry hard candies with the goo inside, conversation hearts, dinner mints, mint pastilles, the round ones that are vaguely foreign that have a shell and some chocolate and minty stuff inside, Junior Mints, peppermint patties, Red Vines, any See's candy that involves nuts or caramels and dark chocolate but not fruit, Milk Duds, Tootsie Rolls and Pops, Dum Dums, jelly beans (especially Jelly Bellies), chocolate covered almost anything (but especially almonds or cashews), toffee, Almond Roca, Jolly Ranchers, Nerds, Lik M Aid, Pop Rocks, about half the Necco wafers, ginger chews (Ting Ting Jahe), chocolate covered cherries,
Some candies I don't like include Sugar Babies and Daddies (feel like my fillings are going to pop out), Runts (preponderance of bananas, too crunchy), Now and Laters (fillings, banana), Dots (fillings, plus kind of flavorless), Airheads (just taste like sugar), Laffy Taffy (too horrible to consider, AND banana), the other half of the Necco wafers, most candy from the Asian market (it salty tamarind is your bag, enjoy).
What's funny is that there are probably hundreds in both categories that I'm forgetting. I feel like I should go blog from the candy aisle at the grocery store so I can remember everything. I really like candy. I find it hard to resist. Even if it's not my favorite candy, I'm likely to have just a little. Like those crappy chocolate balls in foil or marshmallow things in milk chocolate you get at Halloween? I'll eat those. Give me a valentine with a milk chocolate and puffed rice heart? It's in my mouth. It might not get eaten until I'm out of other, better chocolate, but I'll eat it. I didn't even put candy bars in the above list. Just straight candy. Mmm. Candy.
7 comments:
mmm candy.
I know you've been to old town Sac where they have all those barrels of candy sold by the pound. AND please tell me you've been to the Jelly Belly factory in Fairfield. They give out free samples, and it's a fun free tour.
Oh, naturally! We bought a really unreasonable amount of saltwater taffy in Hawaii, and it was really good! They had a kona coffee one that I wish I could get here.
And I love the Jelly Belly factory. I haven't been in a long time, but the last time I was there I'm pretty sure coincided with the release of "Buttered Popcorn," which I know many people don't like, but I LOVE it. I also like Tabasco and Jalapeno, though. Hell, I liked "Grass" and "black pepper" from the Bertie Botts beans line.
Super des, thous shalt not use the monkey name.
18 days MY GOD have you SEEN A DOCTOR that CANNOT BE NORMAL or GOOD! I mean here I am with 3 days maybe tops.
Here's me at work as super lawyer let me write volumes on this legal pad in my awesome uniball....oops not quite dry my entire forearm is covered in BLUE INK. Discovered following a two hour meeting with a client who is so rich he is on the Forbes list. Smooth monkeygirl...smooth
I like Grass and black pepper too. Tabasco I've never had, but I like real tabasco sauce. Jalapeno I don't like because it's the same color as watermelon and maybe I ate a whole bunch accidentally before...
I miss Jelly Bellys.
and monkeygirl, you know that warranted use of the Name.
Is it sad that I even liked most of the candies that you dissed, even though I know in my heart of hearts that they are nasty? God, anything with sugar makes me happy. As I was coming home tonight from a feminist night on the town with my cousin, I passed by an entire chocolate restaurant. Oh, man, was I excited. I went in to check it out quickly, and I must go back. I have a funny feeling that this chocolate restaurant my have west coast origins. As soon as I can remember the name, I'll check it out. It had something to do with a bald guy.
OK, WEIRD coincidence. As I wrote about the bald chocolate guy, I recalled that while I was in the restaurant's store, I thought that some of the tins of chocolate nuts looked like something a friend brought me from Israel several eyars ago. I went to my shelf (why I still have this is beyond me), and sure enough, it is the same thing! The chocolate place is called Max Brenner - Chocolate by the Bald Man. Does this sound familiar to you?
Chocolate by the Bald Man? Never heard of it. There's a restaurant called Chocolat in Santa Cruz that's all chocolate desserts. AWESOME. BUt you have to be careful, because one of their hot cocoas is like "The Aztec" and it's thick and bitter and wierd.
As for the candies I don't like? I know, let's be honest -- if someone offered me a Dot or a Sugar Baby, I wouldn't turn it down. In fact, I had several Laffy Taffys last year when they were left over from some school event, and I ate all of them but banana. The banana ones are the devil's work.
Post a Comment