Sunday, September 10, 2006

Free air genius

I'm a genius. Not that I'm going to do anything with this idea, but wouldn't it be great if we could use this big ol' Interweb thing to share information about where you can get free air in your tires. See, I need air in my bike tires*, and I don't know where around here to get air. We're not near any gas stations, really. We're close to a Big O, but I've looked pretty carefully while driving by, and I don't see an air thing outside. I may have to go by when they're open and ask if I can use their air thing. But back to the main point, I guess I'd like to see some resource online where community members list where you can find free air in our town. Of course, I'd also like to see a community-run resource on where to get fresh-baked bread in the morning, where to get vegetarian pho, where to find a good omelette, whatever. I can search for "bread" and "Sacramento" and get 1.6 million hits. "Fresh baked bread Sacramento" has 138,000 hits, and they tend to be more specific, but none that I can see tell me where I can go to get fresh-baked bread still hot first thing in the morning. No, they just tell you the phone numbers and addresses of bakeries.

I don't know, most of the "local resources" type pages seem to be too general. I'd like to have a forum where you could ask "Hey, where can I get Diet Stewart's root beer," and someone would answer "Corti's." And then that would stay up in the history of the forums so that the next time someone was browsing that forum, they'd be able to see it.

Maybe that does exist somewhere. I should Google it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure that Big O does have an air thing right outside, near the east side of the building. I'm not sure that they don't shut it down after hours though. I also have an "air thingy" in my car so maybe when I'm there tomorrow, I'll just leave it for you to use while I'm gone. And actually, I'm pretty sure that someone has beat you to the idea (at least in part) but I can't remember the exact name of the site, something like "Angie's List." I haven't actually gone on it yet but I've read about it a couple of times. MM

Suzanne said...

There's plenty of hot air to be found online.

Anonymous said...

Diet Stewart's is on sale at Ralerys/Bel Air. Technically a new law was passed some time ago where every service station had to have working air and a bathroom for free use for customers, but we know how that goes. I have an extra bike pump one of those foot pedal ones if you want to use it. Monkeygirl out

Anonymous said...

There's usually fresh hot bread, or at least pastries, at the Bread Store on J St.

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling on the free air issue. After all, especially for garages, it's not like they don't have the pump anyway and I doubt it costs them anything for you to use it. When I had my motorcycle and I had a leak I could afford to fix at the time, I knew ALL the places in town to get free air! ;)