Actually, I'm going to amend "good teacher" to "lucky teacher with a little initiative, a happy partnership, and great students."
I had a great day yesterday. My two drama classes paired with the special ed teachers who have the autistic and the orthopedically handicapped students. Their teachers told us what kinds of modifications we'd need to help with and helped supervise all our activities. I had my students come up with drama games (modified as necessary) that we played with the kids on Tuesday. (It went great -- one of them's a ringer at charades!) Then they wrote scenes showing how kids interact normally as friends. The autistic students then got to act as part of a group and have a script in front of them so they knew exactly what to say. My kids came up with several good scenes. One was some kids who wanted to sneak into a movie theatre, but they resisted the peer pressure! Another group went to a restaurant and someone forgot their wallet, so others pitched in to help. Another group went on a road trip and had several problems including a flat tire, but when they finally got to their destination, a birthday party, they sang the birthday song (that was a huge hit). One group went to a soccer game to watch their friends play, then went to karaoke to celebrate the win. One group made friends with a lonely girl at school. Another group comforted their friend after a break-up. Oh, and there was a surprise party that one friend didn't get an invitation to, but it was in her mailbox all along (this one was a bit of a musical). Anyway, I'm so proud of how well my kids worked with the guests from the other classes. They pushed their wheelchairs, held their scripts, prompted them on their lines, applauded their efforts, and hung out afterwards with them and mingled (well, most of them did, anyway). It was awesome.
Sometimes I'm evil. There's a freshman who cracks me up -- she's a real character. Anyway, I think she's got a crush on one of the tennis players, because she's always hanging out in the corner of the tennis courts by my room. I was leaving Thursday when I heard her announce "I'm always getting hit by the tennis balls! They ricochet..." at which point she was interrupted by a tennis ball ricocheting off the back wall and beaning her in the side of the head!! I laughed.
Now for the real evil: Yesterday, as a gift for helping judge the design of the ag classes' planter boxes, the ag teacher next door came in at the beginning of 6th period with a bowl of ice cream with whipped cream and chocolate syrup for me. I thanked him, then saw the student's VERY interested glances at my bowl and just made the most of it. I was like "So in terms of your papers..." I take a HUGE bite and close my eyes with sheer pleasure. "Mmm. You can continue to revise them through..." I get some ice cream on the spoon and lick it. "Yum. ...Spring of next year." You should have seen their jaws drop! I was totally taunting them with my ice cream. Then, to "get me back," one of my favorite students got out her camera to take pictures of me standing there at the front of the room with my ice cream so she can post them on MySpace. Well, I'm mugging a little bit, then I lick the bowl, but she misses the shot. So I keep faking her out so that she misses the best faces and stuff. She's got about 6 pictures of me ALMOST licking the bowl. Although my favorite picture is of this other girl who sits in the front row jumping behind me while I eat ice cream at the camera. I asked the girl to send them to me and she hasn't yet, but I'm going to peek at their MySpaces (hey, they added me!) to see if those pictures are on there. If they are, I primise to post them here.
No comments:
Post a Comment