By the way, that is not my pee on that stick. Not that you can see the pee.
So I buy the ClearBlue Easy Ovulation Predictor thingies. The nurse at Kaiser said the regular ones were fine, but the digital ones were easier to read -- they have a happy face. I'm at Walgreens looking at the different packages, and the digital ones are ten bucks more (almost $40!!!). But, I am obsessive and nervous, and have a hard time reading the two-lines version. See, that picture at the right? That's not a positive. The line on the left has to be as dark as or darker than the one on the right. So I was using something like that and spending god-knows-how-many minutes going "Is it darker? Should that count? Would you consider it as dark as...?" I took them into other rooms to look at them in different light and everything. I figure the ten bucks (about $1.25 more per stick) was worth it for clarity. I pay for them and go on my way.
Well, when it first is time to use them, a week or so later, it was my camping trip. I pack two with me in my little toiletries bag, but do not read the instructions, because I believe that they are probably "pee on the stick." On that Saturday I go into the pit toilet with no light, unwrap the foil thing, and pee in the only spot that appears to be pee-accepting.* It turns out to be the window. I only realize it after I pull off the pink cap with the absorbent end. Duh. Anyway, that one's wasted.
Sunday, I take another one and actually pee on the correct end. I then put the little lid back on and wait. Does a happy face come up? No, a LINE comes up!! I paid ten extra bucks, and I get a line?! I was enraged! I assumed someone must have wanted the expensive ones as much as I did, and switched the cheap ones into the expensive box, then bought the expensive ones in the cheap box! Trashy bastard! When I got home, I hunted up my receipt and decided I would take that box right back to Walgreens and demand an exchange. If they gave me shit for having used two of them already, I would say "Hey, I'm obviously dealing with fertility issues. Do you really want to fuck with me?"
I grabbed the receipt, picked up the box, looked at the little foil packets to see if the number on them matched the number on the box... and it did. I opened the directions. It said to put the stick you pee on into the digital reader. The what now? I look in the box, and tucked into a fold of cardboard in the corner of the box is a digital thing that sort of looks like a thermometer. Oh. So, you put the stick inside the reader, and THEN you get the happy face (or the finger, I think).
Abashed, I put the receipt and the box away. I was a little mad at myself for having been so dumb. But then I had a thought -- if the sticks are just the garden variety two-lines ones, then next time I'd buy the cheap ones and stick THEM in the digital reader! Hah! ClearBlue Easy, I just figured out how NOT to give you ten dollars!
That's... a really tiny little victory, considering, but I'll take it.
*I have been using OPKs, but little chemistry-class type paper strips that don't have fancy absorbent tips, which is why I didn't know...
4 comments:
I have a friend who went through this. It's a pain...in more ways than one. And hey...just reading a regular prenancy test is an issue for most of us. At least you figured it out before you got back to the store and yelled at the little teenager behind the counter, right?
Best of luck to you!
There are so many things with this that would make me smash things... and of course I would be doing it the exact same way you did!
They really should make easier tests.
This shit is way too complicated. Poor you.
finally getting caught up on all this....chicago? pee tests? mom? Girl....You amaze me still. Best, Stacey
Post a Comment