Thursday, May 24, 2007

New furniture and bat-shit crazy


IMG_0628
Originally uploaded by countmockula.
Yesterday Mom and Boompah went to Rio Vista to pick up some things from Boompah's dad's house. They got a new cedar chest, and I took mom's old one. They also picked up a hutch for me. I really love the new hutch, and yesterday I spent some time putting stuff into it. Finally I have my Alice stuff displayed! Not all of it, as there's so much that it doesn't even fit in those three Rubbermaid containers which, if you can't read, are marked "insanely fragile." But quite a bit of it. I'm trying to get myself used to the idea that I can display some of it, then rotate and put different stuff out later.

I'm so excited to have the cedar chest. It's... It's like a big wooden box of nostalgia! It lived in my mom's house since before I was born, and I spent SO MANY evenings lying on the living room floor absently playing with the key. To add to the nostalgia, mom brought over some baby clothes of mine, including a size 00 pair of Levi's 501s and a pair of overalls from each year of my life!

Now for the bat-shit crazy, which is a different topic. I was reading this blog about a woman's infertility, and every time she mentions the possibility of adoption, some commenters jump on with "Baby-stealer! Adoption is immoral!!" And I'm like... "what now?" I was seriously dumbfounded.

But I try to keep an open mind and I wanted to know what IS it that makes it immoral? What is these folks' point of view? So I found a couple web sites (which I will not link to here, because I don't want the bat-shit crazies finding links from my site and coming over here) about it, and discovered their stance: Only nature can create a family, and a child should never be taken from its family. Abuse? Give the parents counseling so they can stop abusing. Parents die? Give the kids to extended family, like grandparents. Parents who don't want the kid? Give them support so they can raise the kid. Everybody in the family and extended family dies in a fiery train wreck? Give the kid to a couple, but call them "guardians," don't change the birth certificate or the kid's last name, don't call those guardians mom and dad, and make sure the kid understands that they are not his parents, because that would be disrespectful to the birth parents. Oh, and "birthmother" is an insulting and derogatory term.

Well, now I know. BAT. SHIT. CRAZY.

3 comments:

Serena Woodward said...

Speaking as a birthmother, I agree with you, those people are bat-shit crazy. Adoption can be a beautiful thing. I won't go into long and boring detail here, but the outcome of our adoptions was wonderful. The children are BEAUTIFUL, the adoptive family is WONDERFUL and we (my husband, children and I) are doing really well. We keep in touch with the family etc...people who try to make adoption an ugly thing should be smacked around until they come to their senses...but that's just me.

super des said...

I want to see pictures of your newly displayed Alice stuff.

I know someone who's philosophy is: Just because I can have kids and don't want them doesn't mean I shouldn't share them with someone who does. Thus, she has babies and gives them up for adoption. Exactly the opposite of these batshit people.

Anonymous said...

People are crazy and stupid. This merely serves to solidify my theory that 98% of all people are morons. It feels good to be in the 2%. I am so stoked to see the Alice stuff. Have fun at college tour are you back Monday ,let's BBQ or something fun. MG