Friday, September 19, 2008

*Sigh* I feel like I have to

get political. It's so much on my mind, and so much a part of my conversations these days. I try not to blog about it too much, because I think we'd all agree that it's depressing. But I just have to get a few things off my chest.

First of all, proposition 8 in California seeks to make gay marriage illegal again. Are you guys fucking serious? Gay marriage hurts no one, and I can't comprehend the argument that it does. A local couple (to my shame) is protesting the marriage license form because it doesn't say "bride and groom" anymore, and somehow that tramples on their rights. What. The. Fuck? If you are married in the eyes of the law (and, if it matters to you, the lord), then you're in like Flynn. Who cares if it says bride and groom, party A and party B, or Snorgleflex and Boop-de-boop? The very idea that two adults who love one another are not allowed to get married is antithetical to our ideas if civil rights and equality. That my husband and I are allowed to marry, would have our property transfer to one another at the time of our deaths, would be allowed to make medical decisions for one another, can file our taxes jointly... that all is a huge privilege. And there are people who can't have that. Because of a biological propensity to love someone of their own sex. It's mind-boggling.

Yesterday we donated to Equality California. Today I picked up a "No on 8" lawn sign. Maybe you find it odd that a straight gal with a baby is so passionate about this issue, but this is the civil rights issue of my generation. I care for the same reason that white people in the 60's cared about civil rights: it is morally imperative.

**************************************

Whew, new topic! Can you believe this Sarah Palin bullshit? She's anti-choice, she wouldn't fund rape kits in her hometown, she's lied about damn near everything she's talked about since she got the nomination (you can look elsewhere for info, but it abounds), she has little experience, and she doesn't seem to know anything about foreign policy. But people are salivating all over her! I'm going to do it again -- I have to. What. The. Fuck? And seriously, what combination of forces would cause you to vote for McCain at this point? Either A: you are among the 30-ish percent of the populace who approves of the job Bush is doing and you're hoping for more of the same. B: You are a racist, and would not vote for Obama if he was the last dude on Earth. C: You are dumb and hornswaggled by McCain's promises of change (remember -- he voted with Bush 90% of the time). Or D: You are just voting because a woman's on the ticket no matter how anti-women's-rights she actually is.

That doesn't leave a lot of room for me for admiration of McCain voters. This is the dude who seems to believe that Spain is in Latin America. He admitted he doesn't understand the economy, and at the moment, I rather think our leader should.

Okay, I have a sleeping baby, and I'm going to get to enjoying my weekend.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, and Amen.

The gay marriage thing has always baffled me. I'm far-left and not afraid to admit it, but on most of the issues I can at least SEE the other side. Gay marriage just makes my head want to explode, though. The only reason for wanting to limit the civil rights of American citizens in this way is religion, pure and simple. And the last time I checked, we were SUPPOSED to live in a country where church and state were kept separate. Although that separation has been chipped away, bit by bit, over the last embarrassing eight years.

I really don't know how ANYONE can legitimately make the argument against gay marriage without admitting that their argument is purely religious in nature - or that they're total bigots.

Oh, no, now you've got me started. You really shouldn't have done that. I'll quit now before I write a book on Lady Palin.

Suzanne said...

I am not taking this lightly at all, but I sort of wish that my marriage license said Snorgleflex and Boop-de-boop. That would rock. But you are right that this is pretty much the civil rights issue of our generation.

Also, another incredibly insane issue on your ballot - although it has been defeated the last umpteen times it appeared on the ballot - is parental notification for abortions. This is all the doing on one fucking billionaire who knows that he can wear down the public and win if he just spends enough money. And he is right. Every year, it is defeated by smaller and smaller margins.

The ballot initiative thing in CA is a good idea gone way, way wrong. Just like Sarah Palin (aka George W. Bush) is evil. I am terrified by how much people love this religious zealot. She is totally George W. Bush.

gynagirl said...

Oh my gawd! I am almost ashamed to say what my aunt said today. I love her dearly, but she is a staunch Republican. She actually said "Well, Obama talks to the devil"... I just stared at her in disbelief. I asked her if she actually thought that... I reminded her that he is a Christian from Hawaii. Nor was he sworn in to office with the Koran instead of a bible. I then asked her how my uncle's job hunting is going, since the economy is doing so well (sic). I told her she could thank the Republicans with their bank deregulation. Sarah Palin scares the holy shit outta me. Seriously people. Republicans hate affirmative action so much, yet they just pick the scariest, unqualified vagina they could find just so they could have a uterus on the bill. Man, it scares the crap outta me what could possibly happen if we all don't vote this year. I am trying my damnedest to get everyone I know to vote. I've never been political, but I've been making an effort to educate myself because now that I am in my 30's, it means too much to me and my generation to just sit by & let our parents generation make the decisions. Ugh, I better stop now while I can or else I'd write on forever...

BC said...

Well, of course she wouldn't fund rape kits; they contained emergency contraception!

I have been feeling kind of sick about this election for months. Back in the spring, when it felt like the Democrats could not possibly lose, I was so proud and happy that the first president my daughter would remember would be either a woman or an African-American, and in either case would be smart and capable and, you know, not evil or an embarrassment.

Now, I just don't know. I am trying not to feel hopeless.

(I live in a bubble, though. I have only seen one McCain sign, and it had been both tagged AND paintballed. That's some widespread discontent, right there.)

Kat said...

I feel exactly the same way about the gay marriage issue. And that bs article, the low lights of which were (for me) (1) the "bride" saying that it's not religious, it's "personal" juxtaposed with the pastor saying he is preaching to his congregants to get out there and let their voices be heard and (2) the argument that gay marriage is hurting straight people because they don't want to put their names by "party A" and "party B."

Yes, having to write your name on a form and then being afforded all of the rights and privileges that go along with marriage is exactly the same as gay people not being allowed to marry at all. I actually yelled about that one and then went to rant to my husband about it.

And I'd rather have Sarah Silverman for VP than Palin.

noodle said...

Hello! We finally have internet at home, after three years! Anyhoo, I (of course) totally agree with you. I have been following the election closer than ever because I am so completely scared shitless of what will happen if McCain and Palin win. Check out my last post on my blog. www.drunkennoodle.blogspot.com