Thursday, September 28, 2006

Hot Blooded Dwarves!


pervy dwarves!!!!
Originally uploaded by revenante.
I almost always wake up with a song in my head. Sometimes I had a dream with the song, sometimes I heard it the day before, sometimes it's random, and when I used to have a clock radio alarm, sometimes it was whatever song was on the radio. There was also a several-month period (I almost killed myself) when I woke up every morning and heard "Duh nuh nuh nuh, duh nuh, duh nuh, It's SHOWERTIME" to the tune of MC Hammer's "Hammertime."

Some of you know I'm keeping track of all my girly information. This includes taking my temperature every morning when I first wake up. This has led to the unfortunate circumstance that most mornings now, the first song in my head is "Hot Blooded" by Foreigner.

Totally unrelated, a kid transferred into my class a little late this year. I didn't have him last year, and I'm enjoying him as a student. He's smart, but not a great communicator. When he talks to me, sometimes I find myself shaking my head to get the confusion out. He also has a fantastically alliterative name, and sounds like a character in a Carl Hiassen book.
Anyway, he joined Speech and Debate, and I asked all the kids to go find an article on a current event and bring it to me. This kid says he doesn't have any resources to look for articles, so I suggest some, and he decides he'll use my computer at lunch. So he's in here using the computer and asks me "Hey, do you know that story with the dwarves?" "Um, what?" "I'm looking for that story about the dwarves in Africa." "Uhh (shake), you mean that ancient fossil they found?" "NO." (He's frustrated with me at this point.) "I'm talking about the genocide of the DWARVES. Don't you know? It's all over the news!!!" I said "I'm sorry, is that something you read about in Mr. P's class? I mean, I don't doubt the story; I just haven't heard it myself." He huffs, frustrated, and turns to the computer.
A few minutes later, he has printed out an article and pokes a word in triumphant satisfaction. "There!" hs says, "Dwaves!" He is pointing to the word "Darfur."

3 comments:

super des said...

Teach this child.

super des said...

I always wake up with a song in my head too.

Alex Elliot said...

Too funny!