Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Sailors take warning


the red planet
Originally uploaded by liquidysquids.
As usual when I'm at work, this is soemone else's photo from Flickr, but that's what the sun looked like here this morning. It was wacky.

I drove 25 miles round-trip to get a bag of felt last night. Sigh. The dangers of Freecycle. I don't want to be one of those people who's like "Wanted: brand-new DVD player and flat-screen TV, must be in excellent condition." So my ad was like "Wanted: craft supplies for my drama class, wood, fabric, foam board, etc. It is easiest to pick up within ten miles of downtown." So when someone offers me something nice but they live in Gold River, I don't want to be an asshole and say "No thanks, you're too far away. Keep your craft stuff." So I find myself going to get it and, well, driving 25 miles round trip for a bag of felt. Could I have just paid for felt and not had to drive for almost an hour? Yes. Was it wise to drive out for this felt? Probably not. Did I do it anyway to avoid people thinking I'm a picky asshole? Yes.

Speaking of driving all over the goddamn planet... I hate driving outside my box. I know downtown, midtown, and east Sac really well. I know South sac and the Arden area well enough to get to places, but not well enough that you could say "You know that market by the blah blah?" and always have me say yes. If you expand the circle to about Watt Avenue on the East, Del Paso on the North, the river on the West and Florin on the South, then I can get just about anywhere. Other places further out? I almost never go there, or if I do, it's to the same place over and over. So when I have to go to a new place out there, I almost invariably get lost or frustrated or both. One reason? We have two freeways both called 80. Yeah, that's right. Different freeways that go to different places, both with the same name. Now, Mapquest calls one of them the Capital City Freeway, and so do many people including the traffic reporters. But the signs (most of them, anyway) don't. No, the signs say 80, and above most of them is, in small letters, the word "business." Sometimes it says "Business loop." The other one, theoretically, is called "Interstate 80." But the signs on it say "80." So I may be directionally challenged and quick to frustration, but this shit is not helping.

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

I hate business highways. There are nothing but confusing. I hope it is at least a very good quality felt or there is a lot of it.

You are a high quality teacher for doing this, no matter what the idiots at the state think.

super des said...

I hated the multiple 80s SOOO MUCH! I don't miss having to drive from Davis on 80 East to Business 80 (Reno) then to the 5, and gvheigrhsephgpseiu.
You understand.

Alex Elliot said...

I would do the same thing, too. In fact I was recently stuck with a ton of felt and foamy art shapes and others things due to my inablitiy to say "no" to free stuff that someone was generously offering me. I found a nice home for it eventually.

Anonymous said...

I have lived here my whole life, and I distinguish them by calling (i-80) the green freeway because by West Sac its painted green on the side. Sadly I can better navigate San Francisco, Berkeley, and SEATTLE better then Citrus Heights, Antelope, and any of those other pretend cities.

By the way YOU NEED CRAFTS? Hello do I not have three moving drawer thingies full of crafts! I would be totally willing to donate to expanding the children's minds, you can even pick through and only take the stuff you want, plus I am less then a mile away.

Got a postcard from MM yesterday been loving the blogs I am so glad you made her do that! Monkeygirl