Blogger is acting goofy, so I don't know if this'll work, but here goes.
We're having a housewarming next weekend (well, an open house -- we're not begging for presents) so I spent a lot of time this weekend cleaning up. Every time someone asks me "well, are you all settled in?" I answer "Yup, I unpacked the last box this weekend." But then I find one more box. We're more settled in, but there are always things that need to be done. I cleaned up the backyard a lot yesterday, but am nowhere near done with that. Everything's thorny and overgrown, like giant Muppets with pokey bits. I cut a lot of stuff back and dragged the big pile to the street. It was hard work, and I got several scratches, but it smelled delicious!! Really. The first thing I cut back was the rosemary. Then I moved on to the mock orange, and if you have never gotten a whiff of this citrusy, soapy, tangy, astringent smell, then go find somebody with a mock orange and cut off a branch. It's really an interesting and pleasant smell. Then I went to the lemon tree. At first, I balked a little at pruning it at all and losing some lemons, but we have way more than we can use anyway. But when I cut it, there was serious lemon smell, too. So depending on what I was cutting or walking on or dragging to the street, it smelled absolutely delightful.
I've made some really yummy dinners lately, including last night's stuffed squash (don't balk --Sweetie even went back for seconds), but Blogger has been seriously fussy, so I probably won't update Count Broccula tonight, but soon.
I bought Liz Phair's "Exile in Guyville" last week. I've been hearing about this album literally for years. It's supposed to be this seminal riot grrl feminist rockin' masterpiece. I've kind of felt guilty all these years for not owning it. I've never even heard any of the songs off the album, so I finally saw it at Tower's clearance sale and went for it. I had really high expectations and... it was okay. I think I was expecting ROCKING, like, PJ Harvey or Hole. But it's almost folky. I think it rocks about as hard as Suzanne Vega. I mean, I don't dislike it, and I've listened to it several times through, but it is completely not what I thought.
I still have to go grocery shopping tonight and do some other stuff, so I'm out. Take care everyone.
2 comments:
I bought it when it first came out, and even then I was underwhelmed. I also think it's really uneven. On the other hand, some of the songs really grew on me, and now they are some of my favorite songs period. Songs like 6'1", Fuck and Run, and Mesmerizing. Good lyrics, unique perspective.
I think really the deal was that it was this song for song refutation of Rolling Stones' Exile on Main Street. Oddly, for years I'd been hearing about this album, but I just picked it up this year. Equally underwhelming, if you ask me. Best Rolling Stones album? I think not. (I choose Let It Bleed, for that).
Oh yeah, and then there's the fact she says a lot of dirty words. My guy friends were pretty turned on by that then, and I'd venture to guess so were some rock critics. You can see her nipple on the album cover! I was pretty non-plussed then. I consciously avoid the more gratuitous stuff on there now, as it just got worse with age.
But, Fuck and Run. Yeah, what a great song.
Liz Phair went to my high school. The again, so did Donald Rumsfeld. I never got into either of them, but I'll take Liz over Don any day...
Post a Comment