Tuesday, October 24, 2006

You should dress Indian every day!


Mo in sori
Originally uploaded by Ziggy Lankee.
That was an odd compliment I received from another teacher earlier today. This is spirit week (the week before Homecoming), and today is "Multicultural day." The signs advice us to dress in the clothing of our culture, but since I don't have any overalls and muddy boots and have no intention of dressing like a Leprechaun, I went with the "multi" part, and decided to dress in someone else's cultural dress -- a sari.

I got here this morning and the first student of mine I saw was Indian, and she said "Oh, Ms. Mockula. You're wearing a sari. Who wrapped it for you?" I proudly replied "I did!" She tilted her head to one side, examining me, and stated "you needed help." SInce one typically wears a sari with another long skirt and a shirt underneath, I took off the sari itself and she helped me re-wrap it. Anyway, now I'm very proud. I've gotten many compliments. Of course, my students all walk in and go "You're Indian? I thought you were Irish?" and I reply in my best mock-teacher voice, "I am, but white people don't have culture, children."

2 comments:

super des said...

I like your decision. And I hope your students found your statement funny like I did.

Suzanne said...

It is a beautiful sari. And you are hilarious. Hilarious!