Friday, December 21, 2007

The devil and Ms. S


Baby Devil Goat
Originally uploaded by knee_bone
First, as a quick note, there are contract negotiations going on between the school district and my union. The district's latest offer for a raise? .666% Think that's a message?

Also, sometimes the devil gets into me when I'm grading. Here is what I wrote on the back of a student's essay. (Keep in mind, this was a "revision" of a paper that he had basically plagiarized before and I told him to start over. He still used huge swaths of the old paper.)

"Burn this, delete it from any electronic sources it may be saved on, and start fresh." I then gave him some suggestions for a new paper, one of which was similar in some ways, so at the end of that I wrote "But you MUST have a clear thesis, a good reason for doing it, and you must not use one word of this existing paper (because it is dookie)."

On another paper, I wrote "(Student), your writing is brain and eyeball torture. But I'm going to ignore that and try to focus on your ideas." I talked about the ideas, and then ended with "So... what now? Are you finally ready to invest some real time and thought into this?"

It's mean, I suppose, but at the same time, the eyeball torture kid is a junior in an advanced English program. Mofo needs to learn to proofread. Seriously, his paper contains this "sentence": "As she illustrates through out the novel the use of feminism by using the characters she creates and image of equality of the sexes." Am I crazy, or does that NOT MEAN ANYTHING?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD! You are hilarious and I love the picture of the devil dog (not the desert the actual dog). I actually just read this post to my secretary because I nearly peed myself. Hey was student #1 the wikipedia kid? MG

SUEB0B said...

As in 6 tenths of one percent? That IS demonic!!