I go to a coffee shop that is awesome. They have lots of seating, plenty of space, free wi-fi that works a lot of the time, and fantastic beverages. They also offer a few edibles, like cookies, muffins, scones, and biscotti.
Although this isn't generally described as a college town, we do have a CSU, several junior colleges, and a large teaching hospital nearby. The place, therefore, is often PACKED with people studying. I've been there a lot lately grading papers (for some reason, I just can't get focused at home -- I find ways to distract myself and not do the work).
I've always thought that if you're going to hog a spot at a crowded, popular coffee shop, you ought to compensate the place. I figure that a drink buys you about an hour, a drink and a biscotti a touch more, and if you plan to be there two hours or more, you need to buy another beverage. And tip. But I don't think that everyone shares my philosophy. I also believe that while it is acceptable to bring in something small to eat, like a few chocolates or a bag of candy, if you plan to EAT, it ought to be the foods they offer for sale. Again, I'm sensing that this isn't the popular opinion.
Last week, one young lady of a pair left, and when she returned, she had enormous burritos, which they unwrapped in the coffee shop and ate. They also had sodas. "How gauche!" I thought, as the smell of black beans and onions wafted toward me. I also thought it was an anomaly, but in the days since, I have seen people unwrap sandwiches and more burritos. Tonight, I saw a sweet scene -- a man and his three kids (in pajamas and Santa hats) snuck up to a woman who was studying. Then they unloaded an ice chest with a complete pasta dinner and Diet Pepsi.
Am I crazy? A coffee shop, though it certainly doesn't offer complete meals, is nevertheless a food and drink establishment. You wouldn't drop into the Pizza Hut and unwrap sandwiches from elsewhere. You wouldn't go into the pub and open your own flask. In fact, you'd get thrown out of most places for doing that. Why would these people think it's okay to do so in a coffee shop? I have certainly had some days where I planned to put in multiple hours grading and gotten hungry in the meantime. But do you know what I do? It sounds crazy, but I LEAVE, go to a place that sells FOOD, eat it there, and then return to the coffee shop (where I BUY something).
It's not a community center, people. It's a business.
1 comment:
I am with you on that, except that scene with the dad and the kids surprising mom with dinner while she studied is about the cutest, sweetest thing I've ever heard.
Post a Comment