Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Yet another in the vivid pregnancy dream files


Stephen Colbert
Originally uploaded by dietrich
In this dream, I am wandering around Sacramento playing hide and seek with Stecen Colbert. He is wearing a suit, of course, and we are chasing each other in and out of the antique store at 21st and X streets. It is a two-story building with a ramp to the second floor. Also, if you go out through the back door on the main floor, you can walk behind the stores to another antique store two doors down. It's perfect for hide and seek (and incidentally, all true in real life, unlike some dream locations).

I run into the store with Colbert hot on my heels, and run down to the basement (now we're in dream territory -- so far as I know, the store doesn't have a basement). It's a maze of plastic sheeting and unfinished walls. My principal comes wandering out, in a suit also, but a rumpled, baggy one. He looks like he's coming off a three-day bender. It is the raggediest hangover I have ever seen. But he wants to talk, and you can't just brush off the principal, so even though Colbert is coming, I have to stay and talk.

When Colbert comes down the stairs, I take an offensive tack, running after him and chasing him back out onto the street. I begin flinging pieces of buttered toast at him, and as I throw them, a huge SUV drives up and Eric Clapton leans out the window. I laugh hysterically as I say "How do you like having toast thrown at you while Eric Clapton waits behind!" Which is especially funny, because that's my FAVORITE Monty Python line to quote! Oh, ho, ho, the perfect timing of it all!

But wait. Something's wrong! I think I've screwed it up. It's not supposed to be Eric Clapton; it's supposed to be Eric Idle! Curses! Foiled again! And the toast just split in half as if cut by a laser as it approaches Colbert.

Dream interpretation people? What on EARTH is going on in my head?

2 comments:

super des said...

ha ha ha.
I'm so glad you are writing these down for posterity.

Anonymous said...

Well, one person represented from your work life; one from your musical life and one from your political life (I know he's not really a politician but he has been pretending to be and you do like comedy). All of these things are important to you. I'm not a dream interpreter, but just a thought.