Monday, January 22, 2007

Bloggin' for choice


Blog for Choice Day - January 22, 2007


Today is official Blog for Choice day, and although I was far too lazy to sign up for the official she-bang, I wanted to be a part of it by at least writing something.

Most of you know that I'm trying to have a baby and want it really, really desperately. I can't think of a circumstance, at this point in my life, that would cause me to have an abortion. Even if something happened to my relationship, whatever, I just don't think it's for me. I also suspect that from the very instant I see two lines on the EPT, I am going to think of whatever's inside me as a life, blastocyst or zygote or whatever collection of cells it is at that point. Nope -- I'll think of it as my baby, talk to it, sing to it, eat healthily for it, love it... So when it comes to protecting MY right to an abortion? No thanks, I don't need that particular right.

But there's the rub. When it comes to protecting rights, it's not all about self-interest. It's about protecting EVERYONE'S rights. It's about protecting the girls who were raped, who are too young, who are in danger medically, who know they will be thrown out/beaten/whatever when they tell their parents. It's for the women who can't afford another child but the pill or IUD let them down. It's for a whole host of other reasons and other women that I can't even conjure up because it's so far from my personal reality. Just because I don't need an abortion doesn't mean other women don't. I hate to talk in bumper stickers, but have you seen the one that says "pro-child, pro-family, pro-choice"? That's me. Please, keep it legal -- for those who need it.

Since that was short and sweet, check out CUSS and SuperDes or click the link above for more and better blogs than this one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey short and sweet is fantastic. I think you said it all very eloquently.

super des said...

Agreed. "It's about protecting EVERYONE'S rights."
That is too true, and I'm glad you brought a point of view like that.