Saturday, August 02, 2008

Date Night 2: The Mummy 3 (with spoilers)

Yeah, yeah, there are other movies we could have seen, but we were both in the mood for goofy action-adventure and it fit in with our time scheme better than "The Wackness." We dropped the baby off at Mom's (thank you!) and went a few blocks away to 33rd Street Bistro, one of my favorite restaurants (Sweetie isn't as crazy about it, but wanted to take me to a special dinner). I had my favorite sandwich, the Pike's Market, he had meatloaf, and we shared sweet potato fries. Then we went to the movie.

It was... silly. Hmmm, what was hardest to believe... yetis carrying Brendan Fraser to Shangri-La? The mummy guy turning into a flying three-headed dragon? Said dragon NOT beating a party on foot to two snow-covered mountains over? A dude who has control over all the elements not just lighting everyone on fire and running away? The fight between undead armies? Oh well, whatever.

The best part was the people in the theater, who not only clapped at the end, but one guy PUMPED HIS FISTS IN THE AIR in triumph. I also liked the guy behind us, who couldn't help but comment "See ya! Wouldn't want to be ya!" when the mummy was vanquished. The same guy, after a trailer for "Beverly Hills Chihuaha," guffawed and said (and I am NOT making this up, nor do I believe he was being sarcastic) "Talking dogs. What'll they think of next?" Um, I don't know... flying elephants? Hippos in tutus? A mouse as a steamboat captain? That's wacky, man.

Anyway, we had a nice date night. We considered next time just SAYING we were going to a movie, dropping the baby off, and then just coming back home for a few hours. Nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more.

I guess Mom and Boompah and Zadie had an okay night until the end, when she woke up from a little doze and then started in with the bloodcurdling screams we could hear from the street. But that's better than last time, with the bloodcurdling screams for four hours, capped with vomiting.

No comments: