Saturday, August 30, 2008

This weekend: the neat and the sucky

Sucky: I meant to go to school yesterday to get a few things done, but between my walk and the baby's feedings and naps, it just didn't happen. So I went today and the place is locked up. I could get into my room, but that's useless because my printer and power cords are missing. Not that there's all that much I could have done -- I was promised the class rosters and those didn't show up. So basically I have to show up Tuesday morning and bust ass to get some seating charts made. Someone also mentioned that the secretary called to ask if they wanted copies of the curriculum units. Um, my answer is YES. But did I get a phone call? No. So I guess that's in the hands of fate now, which means it's probably in MY hands to make all those damn copies. How do I get on the courtesy call list? Who do I have to blow (or bring donuts to)?

Neat: Ah, the miracle of Facebook. About a month ago, a guy I knew in freshman year looked me up and added me. I then saw that he had a friend that I knew, so I added that friend. And then there was a friend-a-lanche. Shortly thereafter, someone suggested an informal, multi-year reunion of kids who were in the performing arts program, and I got an invite. It was last night at Fox and Goose, and I went. At first, there were only two people I knew (although there was a third guy there I knew, I just didn't recognize him at first -- those skinny high school boys seem to all end up stocky!). But then more people wandered in from the year just ahead of mine, and all of a sudden I knew lots of people! It was great to catch up. It was odd, too. Many of us had starter marriages, and we all looked thirty-something. Like grown-ups. What a trip.

I took the baby (because she's still got a minor crying issue with Sweetie) and some Brits told me I was the second person they'd seen "out" with a baby since they'd been here. They almost thought I was foreign. I think they mean that in other countries, people actually take their babies out with them. I had her in the sling at first with just her head poking out and they were making a fuss over her, and later I had her out and one of the guys saw us and said "Oh good, she's got a body!" Silly.

Speak of the crying devil, I'd better attend to her.

I'm still not looking forward to going back to work, but I know it's going to be okay.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes,it will.
Are you familar with "SNAFU?"
SailorDazeDad

Monkey Girl Crafts said...

Good luck tomorrow. Thinking of you- just got back from Tahoe! Let's get together for dinner this week.

Anonymous said...

this school year is definitely off to a rough start, but just look at what you have waiting for you at the end of the day!
-mariadelasofa