Sunday, August 10, 2008

The writing thing

I have noticed that my blog lately has been mostly kid updates, and before the kid, I am pretty sure I used to write about other things. I don't know what things, but... things. Current events? Politics? Culture? Who knows...

And also? Before I finished grad school (and my enormous Master's project of creative writing), I used to write creatively a lot. Lately? Not so much.

And I've been reading the blogs of these wonderfully creative people and books with powerful themes and magazines by people freelancing and... I think you get the idea.

I think of myself as a writer, but I don't write anything I'm proud of. And that's sad. Now I know I spend a lot of time nurturing and that it's important, too (more important, really), and I know that when I go back to work, I do a good job and that's also important. But there's this part of myself that I don't want to give up and that I miss. So I think I'm going to try to get back to writing. I had an idea for a freelance article for a magazine the other day, but I looked up the archives and they'd already done it. I did write a poem a few days ago, but I got a lukewarm reception from the few people I shared it with. But that's my comfort zone, so poetry is probably where I'll start again. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

SUEB0B said...

You made a HUMAN this year. Relax. All of you is still in there. There are only so many hours in a day.

Suzanne said...

Isn't the point of life to experience new things, balance them with the old, and then go from there? So, I'm with Suebob. Things will fall into place.