I had to work two days this week, all day Tuesday and half a day Wednesday. Zadie stayed with Grandma. It worked pretty well. I woke up at my normal time, got ready, then fed her. Then Mom came over (during the school year, I'll probably drop Zadie at Mom's house instead) and I went to work. They apparently had a good day with no fussing and several naps IN THE CRIB! I haven't been able to get her to sleep in the crib at all, ever. But Grandma used special Grandma tricks, so she took several short naps instead of one long one. I came home at lunch and she was asleep, so I pumped milk for her cereal later. I won't be able to do that when I'm really working (I had an hour, and my real lunch is usually closer to 45 minutes), but it was a good thing I did, because I forgot one of the tubes and the ice packs for the pump (which I had taken with me).
On Wednesday they had a similarly good day, and I took off from work at noon. It looks like it's going to work out better than I expected. I was afraid she wouldn't nap, but she did.
My only lingering concern is that my boobs will dry up. Instead of feeding her every two hours, I'll have to go from 7 (when I feed her) to noon thirty (when I'll pump) and then until around 4 when I can get home (on a day with no meetings). Those are two long stretches. I am proud that I've gotten to five months, or will have, by the time I went back to work. But I really want to breastfeed her until she's ready to wean -- I didn't want to quit just because I go back to work and she can't get any milk from me, you know?
Oh well - I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, and I don't want to be too pessimistic. Maybe my boobs will just get used to the new schedule. And Zadie loves to nurse now -- maybe she won't want to quit just because she gets it faster from the bottle.
I'm really going to miss being home with her all day. I've had so much fun this summer. It's going to be hard only getting to see her a few hours every day. At this point she goes to bed at around ten, and I may keep it that way for a while, just so we have some extra time with her.
A friend suggested I go to 4/5ths time if I can. I hadn't looked into it, but maybe I will for next year.
5 comments:
I'm glad that your trail runs went smoothly. Since I know how much you've enjoyed your time with Zadie, I've been sort of worrying about what would happen when you had to go back. You are so lucky to have such excellent child care!! I know that it will be fine. Don't worry about your boobs. Even if they do dry up, you've made it through the most critical period. It's all gonna work out. I can tell based on how adorable the picture you have on this post is.
It is so great that you have such a fine, loving Grandma to take care of Zadie. It works out well for everyone!
Hooray for grandma. It is so hard to go back to work especially when you have had such a great time with Zadie. She will do great and you will have your days of ups and downs but it will go well I promise.
Love you Auntie M
ps she is getting so big... i need more pictures please..........
Ha! Our camera batteries died -- you must have noticed. =) We got new ones yesterday, and there are several to upload from the camera.
Ah, those Grandma tricks. Like Jedi, only better.
Post a Comment