Mom and I saw the final performance of the latest Jack Gallagher one-man-show at the B Street Theater today. It was almost entirely about his son, Liam, who was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (specifically, PDD/NOS, the same diagnosis my cousin has) in second grade. Although autism is a subject I'm interested in, and Gallagher a performer who could talk about computer programming for 90 minutes and entertain me, I was even more moved that I was prepared for. Because it's not really about autism -- it's about any parent's love for his or her child, and that difficult line we all walk between respecting who they are as a person and trying to make them ready for a world of conformity.
I'm stoked about this week -- it's only three days for me! I don't normally extend my holidays by taking extra days, but I need to take Zadie to pre-school on Friday, and Thursday is Veteran's Day.
My writing group has really inspired me, but not to actually write... yet. I'm going through a lot of ideas in my head, but you know, there's laundry to fold...
Poker night was last night, and we had a great time. I sort of broke even (I was down about 50 cents, and Debbie and I had given each other small, uncounted piles of chips at various points throughout the game), and we had a great time talking and playing, as always. And eating. One mustn't forget the eating. Jenny made stuffed pickled peppers, there was fruit, brie, our jalapeno poppers, I made ginger ice cream and molasses cookies, and there were several kinds of veggies and chips and dips. It is pretty much the only occasion when I eat french onion dip, and that stuff is ridiculous. I love it. I would seriously take that over some fancy homemade caramelized-onion-and-Neufchatel version (or whatever the non-Lipton version is).
No comments:
Post a Comment