Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Rolls, gifts, and growing up... it's the season for bwagwa.

I got a head start on the dinner rolls for my mom's annual early Thanksgiving. One of the perks of coming from a broken home is going to two holiday celebrations. Of course, it's also hard to pick yourself up after a big dinner and drive (really far) across town to another one. For this reason, my mom has been kind enough to host Thanksgiving at her house... on the Sunday before Thanksgiving. It's great! You get the whole dinner, then three days of leftovers, then another Thanksgiving dinner! Anyway, I've been making bread so much that I thought I'd try my hand at dinner rolls. I made the dough tonight, since I use a refrigerated slow-rise dough. I threw in a ton of fresh rosemary and now I'm looking forward to making them.

I have been limiting my nightly goofing off and trying to use my time more wisely (well, daily blogging excepted). I finished my first handmade gift today. Can't tell you what it is, but I'm happy with the result. Hopefully I'll get started making more different kinds of gifts soon.

Okay, two Zadie-isms for the night. Yesterday when I came home, she was riding her bike in the living room (and pretty successfully. Then at dinner, she used a fork to eat almost all of her pasta. I commented on it, saying "Wow, you were riding your bike earlier and now you're eating with a fork. When did you grow up so much?" She replied, matter-of-factly as she always does, "Oh, I growed up in July."

Zadie loves nonsense (which I can appreciate). One of her favorite nonsense words sounds like "Bwagwa." We'll be having a normal conversation, and all of a sudden, she'll bust out with a "bwagwa" and laugh hysterically. Like, "What did you have for lunch today?" "Bwagwa!"

So last night, we had a conversation that was about, if I remember correctly, going to bed. It went something like this:
Me: Zadie, we can't have chocolate milk right now because it's almost bedtime.
Z: Well, I need it to bwagwa.
Me: Well, unfortunately, bwagwa.
Z: (Tilting her head to the side most quizzically) I don't know that bwagwa.

(Maybe you had to be there -- the idea was that all the "bwagwas" made some kind of sense until mine, which was unfamiliar and incomprehensible.)

No comments: