Zadie is having a slumber party and Grandma and Boompah's, and Sweetie and I went to a neighborhood restaurant (where we split something very like a white Russian for dessert), then to the CSUS geology department's rock auction. I'm not really a geology girl, but I could appreciate several things, namely, the prettily polished rocks, the awesome names of some of the items*, and the good people-watching.
Regarding the last, there was a surprising amount of theatricality at the auction. Several people were in tuxedoes, and others were in little black dresses and looked as though they were unused to the idea. One gentleman was actually wearing a top hat, and one young lady clearly had a fall** in her hair of the type actors use in musicals (I kept expecting her to break out into song).
There were also your REI types, your old hippies, a large number of unsightly*** science nerds, and the academics. A few of those big-belt-buckle guys were there, too. It was really a mix.
Then we came home, and, due to my big fat mouth, played the Metallica version of Guitar Hero instead of the normal version. The Metallica version seems designed to give me carpal tunnel syndrome.
I am hoping, both for Zadie's sake, Grandma and Boompah's sake, and my own sake as her primary caregiver tomorrow, that Z has a restful, uninterrupted night's sleep.
*Like "spherulitic tuff."
** They look like the picture below right.
***Okay, I'm being judgmental, but the room seemed pretty heavily weighted towards those who had neither struck gold in the genetics department nor made strides in the hygiene and styling department.
No comments:
Post a Comment