Wednesday, November 24, 2010

There went that daily blogging thing

Oh well, I had like one comment in three weeks, so not like you guys were on the edges of your seats. Anyway, I haven't blogged for a couple days 'cause it was early Thanksgiving, then Z wasn't going to sleep readily and blah blah.

Zadie funny of the day: I was in the fabric store and she wanted to be in the wrap (baby carrier thing for hippies). It wraps under her butt, and had apparently gotten a little wedge-i-fied. I was absent-mindedly singing her little things to the tune of "The Little Drummer Boy." It was all just mundane stuff like "I think that you are cute, pa rum pum pum pum." Or "Let's look at Christmas stuff, pa rum pum pum pum." Right on cue, and in tune, Zadie sings "My butt does not feel good, pa rum pum pum pum."

She's been a bit sick, so we haven't left the house much. I've been trying to entertain her with non-TV things, but I'll admit that the kid is awake for like 14 hours a day -- sometimes we revert to video mode. She loves this DVD I got her called "The Little Travelers," about a family who travels the world. In this one, they go to Iran, and the whole thing is narrated by the two daughters, who are 5 and 9. It's super-cute, very kid-friendly, and pretty educational, too. Zadie loves to pretend to be the girls, and she has even asked me if she could be "the little Iranian girl." It's like "Yeah, no problem, babe."

We actually wrote an email to their contact on their web site, and just a few hours later we got a reply (which I think is personal and Sweetie thinks is a form letter).

Anyway, some of the other things we've been doing include learning to finger-crochet (she is not good at this), and sticking labels on everything we own, including one that reads "Daddy." I know she's just memorizing, but now we ask her what the signs say, and she yells "table!" or "vase!" or whatever. As we were winding down last night, I had just one slip of paper left, and I asked her what she wanted it to say. She chose "I love you," and we put that one on her dresser so she could see it.

So, I may have mentioned that at a traditional Thanksgiving table, I sometimes don't have much that I can eat which I also like. Sweet potatoes are covered in marshmallows (which have gelatin), green beans are covered in mushroom soup (which has chicken fat), some mashed potatoes are made with stock... I'm like "I'll have a roll and some salad! Oh, the salad has bacon bits in it? That's cool... I'll have two rolls. I love rolls!" Anyway, I'm subverting the dominant paradigm tomorrow by bringing the sweet potatoes myself. And there shall be no cans involved, as I do not like them. Also? No marshmallows. But my sweet potatoes will rule, because they will be well-seasoned, and if people don't like it, they can eat a dick*. Happy Thanksgiving.

*So I made this ginger syrup which is super-good and Sweetie made a cocktail with it, and I finished it off because he is a lightweight and then I made another one because it was delicious, and although I would consider myself neither drunk nor tipsy, I can acknowledge that I would not normally suggest that anyone in my family eat a dick, because I love them very much. Back to the regularly scheduled giving of thanks tomorrow.

2 comments:

kim {the non-mom blogger} said...

I grew up eating REAL sweet potatoes, prepared like a baked potato. We'd wrap it in foil, and when finished, I would slice it down the middle, throw on some butter (or not), and go to town. And I LOVED it. You can imagine my surprise when I discovered the idea of canned sweet potatoes, and even worse, ones covered in marshmallows ;)

Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

I never have understood that marshmallow thing. Is there any other vegetable on the planet that gacky marshmallows are a topping?

TNWINEB

ps I read your blog everyday and most definately notice when you skip days. :)