Monday, November 01, 2010

On governors and Cthulhu and Halloween fun

Today on the way home, I told Zadie that I would probably take her with me to vote tomorrow. I gave a very simple version of how they ask everybody what they think, and then whatever most people want, that's the decision. I also said that right now, what we get to vote for is who is in charge of our state, and that person is called the governor. She immediately said that she was going to grow up and be the governor "when I get big big!" I asked whether she would make good decisions for us, and she said yes. Later, jokingly, her dad and I asked her whether she would lay off state workers or not, and she said no. She also said she would protect our pensions. Finally, she thinks it's okay if boys and boys get married because they love each other. So... I think she's got my vote!

Later she and Sweetie took a walk, and they were talking about the birds singing. He asked what they were singing about, and she said it was about monsters. "Really?" he asked. "Yes, they're singing about Great Cthulhu."

We had a blast this weekend. After my school party Friday night, on Saturday we did our cleaning, then went to Funderland, a local amusement park for little kids. They were having a trick or treat event, and a few rides were included if the kids were in costume and you brought a toy or game for charity. We did, and the first thing she wanted to go on was an octopus ride. (Pictures later.) Next was the train, and she wanted to sit alone! I had to sit behind her. Then we went to the haunted house, and she wasn't scared at all. We also went on the teacups, and she wanted to spin faster and faster. Finally, she spotted the dragon roller coaster. I checked to make sure she could go on, and she was just tall enough. We strapped in and went around three times. On our first revolution, I heard her screaming and I thought "uh-oh." But I turned towards her so I could hear better and realized she was screaming "whoo-hoo!" I think I have a future roller coaster partner on my hands.

The trick-or-treating was pretty lame. Most people were giving out the lamest candy available, and I'm not sure some of them weren't left over from Easter. One booth was giving out Sixlets. Not to be ungrateful, but I bought the GOOD candy for my trick-or-treaters, and even that was only $12. And each of the booths at Funderland were also trying to sell me stuff, like the booth that gave me a spider ring and an Avon catalog. Oh well, Zadie doesn't care.

We had lunch at Dad's Kitchen after that, and I had a great pasta. Zadie ate most of her taco and half of my pasta. We came home and tried to take a nap, but she wasn't having it. Earlier in the day I had asked Sweetie what he wanted for dinner, and thrown out some suggestions like soup and chili. Zadie said "curry noodles!" Sweetie and I looked at each other and said "That sounds good. Is that a real thing?" It was. I found a recipe, and after a trip to the Asian market for lemongrass, we made that for dinner. It was really good!! Anything that calls for 1/4 cup of ginger is okay in my book.

That evening, we drank pumpkin spice soy milk (eggnog for the lactose intolerant), had a fire, and watched Ponyo again. At one point I was leaning against the mantel, warming my butt, looking at my family, and wondering if I could possibly remember that moment forever. I hope so.

On Sunday, we did our usual stuff -- waffles, the Co-op for a few items, the farmer's market, and then the gym for yoga. Then we met Mom for lunch so that we could stay home at dinnertime to give out candy. This was a bad move for us for two reasons -- first, I had the worst lunch at Cafe Capricho. We waited 45 minutes for two salads and a quesadilla while about thirty other people came, ordered, were served, and left. When I finally asked, they said they were making it. Yeah. Anyway, five minutes later, we got our salads, and mine was missing fully half of the ingredients listed on the menu.

We came home for another no-nap, and then got ready to go out visiting. At the last minute, she decided she didn't want to be Dorothy anymore, so she put on one of her play dresses, a princess dress. I was like "okay, whatever. Do you want a tiara?" What the hell, right? Why argue with a two-year-old? Anyway, we visited my dad, my friend Maria, and my Grandma, then ordered a pizza, picked it up, and hurried home, presumably to the kind of hordes of trick-or-treaters I saw on 39th street (seriously, it was a zoo). Alas, no. I got two trick-or-treaters all night, and though I pushed them to take more candy, they politely took one piece each. Not to worry, though -- I work with teenagers. I think I can find someone to take my leftover candy.

That was honestly a disappointment, though, because I really love seeing everyone's costumes, and we only even saw two girls from our street.

That's about it for now. I have opted out of NaNoWriMo again in favor of starting my Christmas crafts, keeping up with the ironing and laundry, and not stressing myself out over a novel I'll never publish. I am considering, however, NaBloPoMo, the November challenge for those of us with limited attention spans. So check back and see whether I follow through with that. =)

Take care,
CM

No comments: